Written by Anime Games Online’s MD Punk
海賊王に俺はなる! One Piece fans around the world rejoice! We finally have a GOOD One Piece PS3 game! Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate the first Pirate Warriors game. For what it was I really enjoyed it. However, saying it didn’t leave me wanting more is an understatement. For all of the characters in the game and having only a handful to be playable not to mention the game having little to no replay value, the game was really lacking.
And then this game happened.
So I’ll make a quick like/dislike bullet list like the Naruto Storm 3 review before I go into a little bit of detail and then giving my final score. The One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Review:
What We Love:
- A much larger cast with a variety of playstyles
- The new Haki system has a whole new dimension to gameplay
- Some stages were completely redesigned to be much larger!
- The amount of enemies on screen at once feels like it has been doubled
- Returning characters have tweaked movesets which makes playing them fun again!
- Mihawk, Smoker, Kuzan, Eneru, and another handful of characters are amazing!
- Chopper is actually fun to use, instead of being the worst character in the game
- The story mode is full of cutscenes that recreate scenes from the anime depending on the character you use and the character you encounter
- Crew Strikes have been completely redesigned and give you a lot of freedom when using the other character, unless the character isn’t normally playable
- Story Mode has a decent length to it
- Crew Fight mode adds a significant amount of overall playtime.
- Ultra Hard mode actually makes the game really challenging
- The music is awesome! New songs are welcomed and there are some great remixes from the first game’s soundtrack
- Buyable alternate costumes for Kuzan, Buggy, Crocodile, Nami, and Robin are a nice touch
What we Dislike:
- Generic Enemy Commanders have Haki and they like to spam it, which makes killing them a chore on certain levels
- You fight some of the same enemies over and over in one Story Mode stage
- Some enemies (CP9) appear too often in back to back stages in Story Mode
- Dream Mode’s story doesn’t really make a lot of sense, but it’s still decent
- A lot of characters from the first game STILL AREN’T PLAYABLE!!!
- The camera still needs some work
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is definitely a large improvement over its predecessor. The gameplay was most definitely the main focus of the development team and they succeeded. The game feels much more fluid and as a result it’s a lot more fun. The new characters add a lot to the game and everyone feels unique. This game finally proves that One Piece is able to fit the Dynasty Warriors style, possibly even better than the Fist of the North Star and Gundam games before it.
The Pirate Warriors series has no place to go but up and I think it’s safe to say that we all know that there is going to be a third game. Hopefully Koei takes a little time to work on the actual story mode, expand upon it, and give us an even larger cast of characters! As for a versus mode, I don’t think this style of game is going to give us a versus mode in the future but I wouldn’t object to one finally being added.
This game is definitely for One Piece fans and One Piece fans only. People who are trying to get into the series will be incredibly confused by the game’s story so I wouldn’t recommend using this as way to get into it. It’s such a massive improvement over the first game that I don’t think I’ll ever be going back to it. The new characters, improved game mechanics, and soundtrack all make the game incredible. The different modes and online modes increase replay value. This game does not go without its flaws however, and the camera is one of them. The Dream Mode was pretty bland and slightly confusing but provided some pretty cool scenes and What-If scenarios. As a huge One Piece fan I can safely say that spending the $100+ to import this game WAS NOT a mistake. I look forward to playing the English version of the game with other people this summer.
Check out the One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 walkthrough of Dream Mode by Anime Games Online’s Kaitou’s using the links below if you want to see what the story mode is like for yourself. Check out MDPunk’s playthrough of the Crew Fights on his channel to see just how challenging and fun the game can be.
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Table of Contents
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 1
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 2
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 3
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 4
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 5
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 Walkthrough Part 6