The team over at PALGN recently wrote an article about their interview with the great president of CyberConnect2, Hiroshi Matsuyama at the Tokyo Game Show earlier this month. The topic? Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations! Below are some of the key points from the interview:
- Japanese audiences gave a lot of technical feedback, such as where the bars should be positioned, the balance of systems, and depth of fighting.
- European and American audiences gave more feedback for content, such as the desire to play as Haku, Zabuza, and other characters
- Matsuyama was surprised how well fans outside of Japan know about the Naruto series and how up-to-date they are.
- Just about every major character from the Naruto series is expected to be in the game. The one exception is fillers. There will be no filler characters in Generations.
- The game is being created to be more accessible, easier to understand and easier to get into.
- Storm 1 and 2 had a lot of RPG elements and an action/adventure mode. Generations will not have this, but instead players will be kept in battle constantly.
- Much of the focus in the game will be on Naruto and Sasuke, however, players will get a chance to experience the history of other characters such as Minato and Itachi.
- CC2 has worked closely with the Naruto anime studios to create new content that will be considered canon. The game will have up to 60 minutes of original anime content.
Just to be clear, the game will likely have a story mode, however, it won’t be like the past Storm games. Out understanding is that it will be more like the Ultimate Ninja games on the PS2 – there will be cutscenes to progress the story followed by a battle.
Also, two things were left open to interpretation from the interview. First off, the game was mentioned to be more accessible (bullet 5). It wasn’t mentioned, however, how this would be accomplished and if there would be tutorials to help get players get acclimated to the game. Secondly, it was mentioned much of the focus would be on Naruto/Sasuke, but there would be 60 minutes of original anime content. Does that mean there will be more than 60 minutes of anime content that’s taken directly from Naruto Part 1 and Shippuden or does it mean everything about Naruto/Sasuke will be created to appear for the first time in Generations? As time goes by and the release date nears, Anime Games Online hopes to have more details!
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations is a 3D fighter in works by CyberConnect2 for the Sony PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Xbox 360. It is scheduled to be published in North America, Europe, and Japan by Namco Bandai Games in 2012. For more information, please visit the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations section.